blank
blank

Compassion

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Get Real with God


During this sacred time of the year for us believers, you will likely hear or read for yourself the different accounts of Jesus' death and resurrection throughout the New Testament. What an awesome time this is to remember His death, as Paul encouraged in I Corinthians 1 and to make our hearts right with our savior. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John all offer a slightly different account, all true just different perspectives for us to learn from. I found a treasure in the account by John; I can’t stop thinking about it! I think it is an encouraging word for all God’s people, but especially for us moms.

Most people remember the end of John for the famous, “Peter, Do you love me?” words of Jesus. Here is where I found the treasure. While Jesus was asking Peter these questions, Peter was also questioning Jesus about John, comparing himself to John if you will. Jesus’ answer surprised me and convicted me and encouraged me all at the same time. Clearly Jesus had different plans for Peter and John and when Peter questioned this Jesus said, (read it slowly and outloud)

If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow me.” John 21:22

These are the words that float around in my head every time I start to compare my life to another mom’s life…Why does her husband have a good job, how come they get to live in the same house for a decade, how come I have to follow my husband all over the country? You can put your own questions there. We mom’s are good at comparing ourselves to other mom’s, but what’s it to us? God has called us to do this thing at this time in this way. Will we follow HIM? Even if it’s not in the way I want or somebody else’s life looks better or easier than mine? Will I follow HIM?

I pray this portion of scripture encourages you and brings you hope. Each of us has our own difficulties we are dealing with; we each have our own gifting too. It’s so easy to read another Mom’s blog and think, if I could just be like that or do what she does or have a husband like that…remember Peter? The context of their conversation was Peter wondering if his life was going to be like John’s life (whom clearly Jesus loved and possibly even favored), but Jesus was checking Peter’s heart. “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?”

God has you on a path like no one else’s. He likely has told you what and how He wants you to spend your time. Take heart not to get distracted and let feelings of discontentment plague you…You follow HIM! Each of our relationships with our savior is personal and unique—this is intimacy. Just like in your marriage it’s private, with Christ it’s private too. Don’t compare. Just Follow!

May this time of remembering Christ’s sacrifice bring you to a place of utter selflessness, as you lay down your will, like He laid down His life and embrace His will, so you can be resurrected in peace and joy! And remember what Jesus said before He ascended into heaven…

“Lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:20

1 comment:

cooperkelly4 said...

Hah, apparently we are all thinking along the same lines. I was reflecting though in a slightly different way...how God knows each one of us and had a specific plan that is unique to us as well. I blogged about it here:
http://lovinglifeslittlemoments.blogspot.com/